Friday 18 December 2015

Responsive: Briefbox - Brief Analysis + Initial Ideas

Visual Identity for Painter & Decorator Alison - Brief

Briefbox is a forum that posts practice briefs online, for designers to gain experience in designing for clients. I think it's a really good opportunity to exercise my design skills, and practice responding to specifications and requests.

What problem(s) are identified by the brief?
The brief is ultimately asking for a set of 5 business cards, each with variations of design. The designs must display bold, playful and contemporary elements in order to reflect the clients identity and promote her business.

What is the brief asking you to do about it/them?
I will design a range of business cards, using bold colours and geometric patterns. I intend to include some sort of Illustration also.

Can you foresee any problems in responding to the brief?
If I were designing for a client in real life, I would feel it necessary to familiarise myself with work they've done, and ideally meet them in person to get a feel for who they are. It is an identity project after all, and I feel that meeting the client would help me to portray them more accurately. In terms of the variation of designs, I am concerned as to how varied they are expecting the designs to be - can they just be different colour? 

Like many of Briefbox's briefs, as they are only hypothetical it is an open ended brief, meaning I can submit work whenever I want. To ensure my time is managed effectively though, I intend to submit it by the end of January, before other modules begin and secret 7 launches. 


Initial Ideas

When first faced with the brief, I started sketching the basic painting and decorating elements, paintbrushes, buckets, ladders etc, but found that they were a bit boring. As the brief explained that the client is interested in geometric patterns, I really wanted to incorporate that aesthetic into my images. I'm really trying to take inspiration from the images given with the brief, but finding it difficult as patterns aren't really my strong point:



Some of my most successful images were characters based on the client, that I think would add a personal and friendly touch to the business card. I also started to play around with her name and initials to create some interesting visuals. I wanted to try and convey her slogan of "adding another dimension to create the perfect home".



No comments:

Post a Comment