Saturday 21 January 2017

To Kill A Mockingbird: Final Cover Design


So this is my final design for the Penguin Random House Student Design Awards, and I think it's one of the best things I've ever made?

I think it's really atmospheric and bold, and maintains a contemporary feel. I think the use of silhouettes creates quite an ominous feel, relating to the in-book elements of racism, lies and death. I think that the use of colours in the sky further create that effect, but still creating a warm/sunny environment that is described in the book. My favourite part of the design is the small subtle details of brown on each building that creates an element of mystery as you look closer at it. Overall I think the illustrative elements of my design are perfect for the story, and I think colour has been used really effectively to communicate tension and a darker bruding atmosphere. 

In terms of adding typography, I admittedly struggled to design the cover as I needed more text material to put on it, however because of the strictness of the spec I couldn't add my own, resulting in a slightly empty composition. 

I really enjoyed this whole project, researching and then eventually the development of the cover, and I think that I would like to push this idea further for my FMP. Book Design is a commercial genre that ties together graphic design and illustration, which I feel would be ideal for the direction that my practice is going in.

Mockup of my design on Hardback Book

No comments:

Post a Comment