Wednesday 18 January 2017

YCN Greenalls: Initial Thoughts


I wasn't extremely blown away with the briefs this year for YCN as I didn't think that many of them allowed for a lot of scope in terms of creating a completely original and creative outcome. This year I desperately wanted to have a shot at a big research led brief that fits in the commercial category - I suppose there's always going to be a little of loss of creative control when working commercially for brands, so I still wanted to give it a try.

 The one that appealed to me the most was the Greenall's brief:

"We would like you to choose quintessential British moments that have lasted through time and are still relevant today and produce a piece of creative that brings this to life in a contemporary way and has Greenall’s at its heart." 

I've identified this brief as one that will allow me to explore making work for commercial use, which refers to my statement of intent. 

I instantly felt a connection to this brief because Greenall's is distilled in my home town and i'm a huge fan of their products. My initial thoughts when reading the brief were to make a campaign about something very British and slightly humorous. The first thing that came to mind was the weather/rain and how the hate for the rain/crap weather is something that unites Britain, which is totally British and always has been. 

Some key things I picked out from the brief:

Aimed at a Millenial Audience
Patriotism 
British sense of humour: "the perfect balance of being down to earth with a touch of irony."
Vibrant and fun
Union Jack logo key to brand identity

These will be useful for informing my outcomes throughout the project and maintaining a focus. To begin I did some research into alcohol ad campaigns that use humor:


 

Both campaigns use language and typography to communicate their humor. They are successful because the language used creates a personality for the brand. I also tried looking into existed Greenalls campaigns that demonstrate their "british sense of humour", however I could not find any online. I did find this example of product design however, which I think is quite fun, and has inspired me to think about ways that I could start using the bottle and product design to help my outcome. These outcomes reflect a genre of commercial work that utilises both graphic and illustrative processes that I feel my way of working would fit into.


No comments:

Post a Comment