Sunday 16 November 2014

Studio Brief 3: Play, Play, Play - Final Outcomes & Feedback

For my final outcomes, I chose to work in collage which I found quite challenging, but rewarding in the end. I feel that the use of collage in my work demonstrates a large amount of craft, which is something I always aim for in my work. I found it quite difficult to create well presented collages, due to the nature of gluing and sticking down, which is something i really need to improve on. 

'Set On Fire' - Image as Type


To create this image, I invested a lot of time and craft into it to it, cutting out each individual match and match head to ensure that a consistent colour scheme is achieved. I was really proud of this image, as I feel that it is quite innovative and something completely new to me. I did however find it quite tedious to create, which may have caused me to make shortcuts, effecting the overall quality of the piece.

'Movie Set' - Image and Type


I did not feel that this image is as effective as my others in terms of visual quality. Although a clear meaning is generated, I feel that the craft and general neatness of the piece is not consistent. I also feel that the idea is perhaps too obvious. I found it really difficult to cut out type, which I feel creates a rushed effect, and effects the overall quality of the piece. 

'Set Up' - Image only


I feel that this particular image works quite effectively because of the use of signs and symbols, such as the police badge, which help to generate meaning instantly, and in this case create a sense of character. I also focused on the idea of being caught red handed to further generate meaning. I really tried to use simple shapes and negative space to create the image, and convey the concept of being 'set up'. To me I feel it is conveyed really well, however to someone else I'm not sure that it would be so clear. 

I also took part in a Peer review session based on my final outcomes; 


Overall I agreed with the majority of my feedback. One of the main comments was about presentation, and taking care when gluing and cutting. I was quite pleased that most of my images were understood, although 'Set Up' generated slight confusion. I feel this may be because the concept was slightly too developed, and in briefs like this, simpler ones would work more effectively to convey meaning. I was really happy with my feedback however, and was greatful that my peers recognised the amount of time and effort put into each piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment