Sunday 16 November 2014

End of Module Self Evaluation

1.      Which practical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them within your own practice?

In my first module, I feel that I have been very experimental with media and how I apply it to my work.  In each studio brief I have taken a different approach to each, trying out collage, digital and use of analogue media. As a starting out illustrator, I feel that I am currently unsure of my preferred type of media, and which would be used most effectively to convey my ‘tone of voice’. I think that the visual language module is really helping me to try out new Medias, in terms of line and shape. I found that the focus on shape has influenced my practice as well, which encouraged me to use Collage in Studio Brief 3. Reflecting on my use of collage, I felt that it was quite difficult to create a perfectly clean cut image, especially where gluing was involved. I intend to focus on my levels of craftsmanship when pursuing a collage route in the future. Overall, I feel that I chose a selection of appropriate medias for each brief, and used them somewhat successfully.

2.      Which principles/theories of image making have you found most valuable during this module and how effectively do you think you are employing these within your own practice?

When starting the course, I encountered many theories of image making that were quite new to me. Firstly, the use of scamps and roughs to get an idea down, even if they are the most obvious of ideas, I found really useful in terms of developing. I have really tried to engage with scamps to effectively aid my final outcome, trying out different compositions and colour schemes. I have also learnt a lot about the presentation of my work, in terms of DPI’s and ensuring images are cut out for group critiques. Before my course, I was unaware of DPI’s and how to alter the quality of a print, which will influence my professional practice in the future.

3.      What strengths can you identify within your submission and how have you capitalised on these?

One of the main strengths in my submission is my ability to use perspective effectively in my images, especially in my editorial work. I worked really hard to achieve a believable angle in my work, which in the end I was quite proud of. I would also like to comment on my use of composition, as I feel that I always focus on the design aspect of my images a lot, and my compositions are always well thought out. As a previous graphic design student, I feel that this aspect is very important in creating a successful image, which is another reason I feel I should focus on the presentation of my work a lot more.

4.      What areas for further development can you identify within your submission and how will you address these in the future?

One of my main concerns in my work is my attention to detail, and my ability to sometimes take shortcuts, which often make my work look slightly messy and unrefined. For example, my submission for the Editorial brief, I feel that I created a successful set of images, yet my use of digital media to add colour was not pursued effectively and looked messy, which was evident in my peer feedback. I also felt that attention to detail was not shown in the studio brief 3 outcomes I created, and care was not completely taken when gluing and cutting. In future projects, I would really like to knuckle down on this aspect and take a more professional attitude towards my work and Illustration as a whole.

5.      In what way has this module introduced you to the BA (Hons) Illustration programme? 


Since starting the course, I have developed an understanding of the course structure, and what is expected of me as a student at Leeds College of Art. At first I found the course quite overwhelming with the work load, but have quickly adapted, however I still feel that my time management skills need improving if I am to succeed on this course. Aswell as introducing me to the programme, I feel that I have been introduced to Illustration as a whole, looking at ways to define good illustration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment