Sunday 24 January 2016

Responsive: Secret 7 - The Less I Know The Better & Worry - Final Designs

The Less I know The Better - Tame Impala

My intentions for this cover were to convey atmosphere and energy as felt in the song. The title 'the less I know the better' got me thinking about naivety, innocence and children. I felt like this would be an interesting route to follow, and was a response to the track that wasn't too literal in my opinion. 


In the end my concept was a bit more developed, and was based around the idea of losing your head in love. It was mainly inspired by the bass of the track, which for some reason made me think of someone running/chasing something, which I've tried to convey. I also drew inspiration from Tame Impala's existing covers and music videos, which are usually very colourful and 'trippy'. I experimented with colour schemes and negative space alot, but felt that the use of silhouettes worked the best against the bold and atmospheric background. 



Worry - Jack Garratt

With this design, my intention was to convey the feeling of loneliness that is felt when you are worried. The concept isn't as developed as it perhaps could be, however I am drawing from complete personal experience with the music and that was how I felt. With this design I jumped straight in, as the song is so atmospheric I had such a vivid image in my mind of what I wanted to draw, hence the lack of backup work etc. 


This design was a first for me, in terms of exploring composition and framing, and i took a leap of faith and tired it out. Usually I like to create full bleed images, yet I really wanted to convey a feeling of isolation, which hopefully is emphasised by my choice of positioning. I think this image is really atmospheric, especially with the contrast of the warm orange against the cold blue. I really wanted to create a sense of moonlight shining down on a block of apartments, which I confident is conveyed by the use of angle and shadows. 

Unsure why silhouettes are becoming a recurring aspect in my work? 


No comments:

Post a Comment