Friday 27 February 2015

Studio Brief 1: I See Faces - Character Development + Method

Character Development

Here are a few pages from sketchbook, where I have really explored my chosen characters, and pushed them further, in terms of media and narrative.









---
Storyboarding

To illustrate my intentions for my GIFS for a group crit, I created a set of storyboards which I found really useful in terms of helping me to get my ahead around the order of my stills etc. I feel like I really pushed myself creatively to think up strange and wacky scenarios my characters could be in. 



For this gif I was inspired by my tutor who said that the more subtle the gif, the more powerful it may be, so I was toying with the idea of doing something simple, well. 
Here I went a bit crazy and thought about a sequence that would be really complex and challenging, but very exciting. I planned for a miserable teen girl to be blowing a bubble with bubblegum, so big, that it grows a face and eats her, shrinks back into a piece of gum and is eaten by the teen again. A really complex storyline but something that I am very willing to try out.

I did not feel that I needed a storyboard for the Poo Man GIF, as his actions would be very subtle, for example blinking. 
Construction Of GIFS

When creating the artwork for my animation, I found myself thinking of innovative ways to solve the problem of creating animation cycles, a method I found to be really complex and quite time consuming. 

BEARD MAN

Original Artwork for Transformation Of Beard
Original Artwork for Blink Cycle
Source

My attempt at a Walk/Turn Cycle

POO MAN


Blink, Drip and Flies Buzzing cycle.

I found this gif to be quite complex to draw because of all the different aspects of it. I found it difficult to visualise the movement of flies and the way that his face would melt down, which I felt I had to really understand before drawing it.

BUBBLEGUM GIRL
Bubble Popping Cycle (I found it easier to draw it, and then erase it)
Mouth Chewing Cycle

No comments:

Post a Comment