Friday 20 February 2015

Studio Brief 1: I See Faces - Amuse/Frustrate/Interest + GIF Research

In order to complete this task, I created a large list of things that either amuse, frustrate or interest me, in order to create starting points for developing character designs. I really enjoyed this task and felt that I threw myself into it, designing a variety of characters. Throughout the task, I focused alot on facial expressions and how I could convey meaning, using the Scott Mccloud handout heavily. I also tried to express humor through my drawings by creating quirky unique characters using thick markers.





I think however that my use of media in the sketchbook was not experimental enough as I mainly stuck to fine liner and felt tip pens creating simple line drawings, which is where I feel most comfortable. I intend to experiment with a dip pen to see how varied line quality effects my images and the tone of voice they create. 

---


I found this GIF on giphy.com, which was created by Charles Huettner. Huettner is a digital artist who creates mainly shape driven imagery using bright and crazy colours. I really liked this GIF as I felt it had a really unique way of moving. The way that the arms almost 'flop' as the character is walking creates a sense of the character and adds subtle humour. I think this GIF is a really successful piece of illustration and something that I will take inspiration from when creating my character GIF. I am currently really interested in working digitally and really like the aesthetic of the work created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment