Monday 16 March 2015

Visual Language: Line Of Sight



This image by Tom Cole, I felt, was a really good example of Line Of sight in an image. I feel that mainly the shape of the clouds act as arrows, creating a pointing effect towards the other side of the image. The use of a bright white path also leading off into the distance adds to this effect. I also feel that the change in colour creates this effect, as there is an almost gradient created, darkest being the object closest to us. I really love this image because of it's unique use of colour and think that the use of texture is lovely. 

For our task, we had to create an image that employs a Line Of Sight, based around the idea of Transport. My image was based on a taxi ride, because I felt that the layout of car would contribute to an interesting line of sight. I initially experimented with roughs; 


My roughs weren't as exhaustive as I'd have liked, however I already had quite a clear picture of the composition of my image. I think that they helped me in terms of getting my head around the layout of a car however. 


I then drew my image out using a Dip Pen and ink, being really experimental with my lines. I really enjoyed creating my initial image and love the effect that dip pens create, despite them being quite messy. I then coloured my image digitally in photoshop, using a colour palette of black, white and pink. 



In terms of creating a Line Of Sight, I took inspiration from Tom Cole's image, whereby I wanted to plant small tiny details that are pointed out using the line of sight technique. For example, in my image, there is a small 'No Smoking' sign in the corner of the image, that is hopefully highlighted by the smoke acting as an arrow. I also employed this effect when drawing the seat belts, making them arrow like and pointing them in the direction of the sign. 


I really enjoyed this task and feel that line of sight is a really valuable tool to use when making pictures, which I will definitely be including in my work in the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment