Monday 16 March 2015

Visual Language: Collage & Ephemera

I feel that I really struggled with this task; I have never been very interested in collage as I don't like the idea of using other people's work in my own, however due to my time limit I had no other choice than to scan books. My goal was to create a poster relating to the theme of horror, advertising an event. 


Here are some examples of the images I used in my collage, from a range of sources. 

Here was my final piece. When creating it I tried to be very selective of my images, in order to aid the composition. I tried to look for images of 2 figures together, that could imply dancing, and perhaps create humor. I then used photoshop to paste it all together, adding overlaid colored shapes to split up and organise the composition. 
________________________________________________

Some of the feedback I got for my final piece was really understandable; 

- Not enough of ~you~ in it.
- Works well as a poster, but as an Illustration it is quite boring. 

I completely agreed with my feedback as I found it really difficult to give the work a visual signature when I was using other peoples images, and I just find collage quite tedious in general. 
However I was recently inspired by Miles Donovan, and his used of layered, almost 3D looking images. So I experimented slightly with this technique to see if my poster looked better. 



I think that the use of the 3D effect makes it look slightly more unique, however does not improve it greatly. From this task, I have learnt that collage is not for me, however, if I were to use it in the future I would be alot more experimental with analogue media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment