Monday 22 February 2016

Applied Illustration: Initial Research

At this point in the project, one thing I am fairly certain about is that I want to create a long image that is viewed online/on a phone, and has elements that are interactive. A lot of concertinas that are published by NoBrow display some of the qualities I hope to achieve;


Tom Clohosy Cole; 'Space Race'
Golden Cosmos; 'High Times' 


Ping Zhu; 'Swan Lake'

There's something that I really admire about the panoramic element of these images, and I just find them really exciting to engage with. I feel that creating the images will also be really exciting which will hopefully come through in my work. In general, the purpose's of these books are mostly to entertain and to be bought and treasured; however a lot of the concepts are based on educational elements - for example 'high times' is based on the history of aviation and flying, which can be decoded to be educational, an element I am really considering incorporating into my work. I feel that in terms of making an educational product, the amount of research would have to be extensive in order for it to be legit, including using academic sources. 

In terms of themes, I have been thinking about cultures/eras that fascinate me - one of which is 1950's america. I find the visuals for this era really exciting including B-movie posters, diners, jiving, cadillacs etc. I just feel that visually I could have a lot of fun with this. I will focus on finding a concept when researching further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment