Sunday 14 February 2016

Responsive: Secret 7 - Dream, Art School, Clearest Blue - Final Designs

Dream - Max Richter

This was the first song that Secret7 have used that doesn't use words/lyircs, which left it completely to interpretation. The slow paced haunting nature elf the track got me thinking about drifting through space, or floating in water. My intention when designing the track was this slow paced, relaxing atmosphere. As the track is based on dreams, it seemed only right to include some unusual, surreal aspects. 

Initial Sketches


Art School - The Jam

I found this song to be really energetic, embodying punk and anarchy. When scamping out my ideas, I focused alot on the lyric 'do anything that you want to do', and in the context of an art school, I based my design on artwork in a gallery. I wanted to convey the subjectivity of art school and how with a decent concept behind it, the visual product can be anything. I started by thinking of random, inappropriate, and unusual objects to use in a gallery setting. 

I think my cover is effective in terms of communicating which song it is, and illustrates the unusualness of some art installations. I really liked the simplicity of this cover and central composition, which reminds me of the \velvet underground's album cover, featuring the work of pop artist Any Warhol.


Clearest Blue - Chvrches

This was the only song I didn't really enjoy listening to, as it didn't really appeal to my personal tastes in music. However, I did pick up on the energy and vibe that are created by the electronic sounds. My intention was to convey this fast paced, electronic energy. 


Initial Sketches



I think that the cover, although quite abstract and pattern driven, fit really well with the the track. It also reflects the style of Chvrches previous covers, which often use geometric, abstract shapes with bold colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment