Tuesday 9 February 2016

Applied Illustration: Initial Thoughts

OK, really taking this opportunity to sit down and get my head around what it is I am actually wanting to pursue for this brief. I'm slightly concerned about this module in terms of how vague and self directed it is, as in the past I have chosen my own theme for a project, and it has been difficult to pursue effectively; so i really need to nail it this time, and find something that I am really interested in. I'm finding it hard to make a link between my interests and something that I want to make pictures about, and in terms of making a project, I'm unsure which one to focus on, and which would make more effective illustration.

Currently I'm really interested in character and narrative, however, after my last attempt to make a book, i'd really rather not try it again. I'm seriously considering pushing my practice towards animation, for this module anyway, as I've really enjoyed doing it in the past, and find it easier to submerge myself. 

Starting points for my research:
Animations - responding to fiction/non fiction, science - educational, entertainment, music, music videos???(too much work maybe)
GIFS - responding to texts/articles/stories, e-books, online, digital experience(animation also), virtual 

Really inspired by the Ballantine's Space Glass - online experience for Instagram magazine



I think that it is a really exciting response to something like an invention, how a complete experience has been adapted from a starting point such as the space glass. I also think that the way the work is displayed/distributed is really fresh and innovative, which helps to make the experience more engaging. Aswell as an amazing piece of work, this experience is promotional and advertising for Ballentine's whiskey - which could also be a good starting point for me as Advertising and branding is something that I'm also really interested in. 

THOUGHTS

Create promotional work for existing products - rebranding? respond to their brand values - through online, digital experiences, gifs, animations, social media???
New upcoming products? food/drink/clothing/music/inventions
look into films/scifi/fictional for inspiration for products 
Use narrative?

Also considering creating an educational experience??? something that would be fun to illustrate/ prehistoric times/cavemen, ice age, space, something that is very visually bold and exciting. 

In terms of branding/ merchandise - What products/brands am I interested in?

Lush cosmetics 
Absolut Vodka
Fjall Raven Outdoor wear

No comments:

Post a Comment