Tuesday 15 November 2016

To Kill A Mockingbird: Idea Development

After creating a load of rubbish sketches for my initial ideas, I chose to return to researching the story/town/characters:

Inspiration

I was really inspired by an infographic type poster on pinterest about To Kill A Mockingbird, in which it highlights the concept of each place/building within the town, being representative of a different theme within the story. For example, the Courthouse being representative of Prejudice and Truth. I think this is a really exciting idea, and although I don't really enjoy drawing architecture, I think the idea of focusing on the different buildings is really effective. 

1930's American Architecture



From my research I found that the book is set in the fictional town of Maycomb in the 1930's, however I was able to locate some images of 1930's American architecture in Alabama, which Harper Lee has expressed is where she got her inspiration from. This type of setting is used quite alot in visualisations of the book, however I would like to put my own illustrative twist on it. I think it's quite exciting how quaint the town is described, with picket fences and tyre swings etc, yet with so much evil running throughout it. 

Contextual Source - Nobrow Press' London Deco


The idea of architecture led me to think of this book that I have seen in the Library, which I think is visually beautiful. The book was published by Nobrow Press and displays a typology of London Deco buildings. I don't think the subject matter of the book is that exciting, but the craft and aesthetic of the images inside are mind blowing. I love the composition of each page, as if the buildings are side by side, which is an element I will take inspiration from in the development stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment