Wednesday 13 April 2016

Responsive: Secret 7" - Evaluation + Presentation Boards

Evaluation

I thoroughly enjoyed working on this brief, as it is something that i'd be willing to explore further in my career. I found the challenge of designing album sleeves to be something that was really appealing to me and the type of work I like to make, and I really enjoyed the freedom and the interpretative nature of the competition. When designing the images, I really went off the images in my head that were popping up as I listened to the songs, so my responses are quite abstract and personal (which may be why I didn't get chosen). 

I feel that most of my responses are really effective pieces of illustration, and I think that the mixture of colour schemes, compositions (some similar), and the use of patterns look really nice as a set, which was not my intention. I wanted to take this competition as an opportunity to establish the type of work I make, my 'Style', which from looking at my submissions, I like to draw skies. I admit that I need to step away from using digital media in my artwork, however I felt this competition was the time to capitalise on what I do best and what I enjoy. I found myself tackling this project in a professional manner, actually taking the time to make schedules, and plan my days etc, in order to meet the deadline, which I am really happy about, even though, honestly, I didn't feel particularly challenged by this brief. Despite saying that, I feel that my designs are well executed and developed, which is all I could have hoped for.

If I were to take part in this competition again, there are a few things I would have changed. Throughout the duration of the project, I didn't receive alot of constructive criticism on my designs. I feel this may have effected the success of my designs because of how I was basing them on my own personal experience of the songs, and remained unaware of how my audience would view them. Truthfully, I don't think I fully understood the competition aswell. I knew the basic idea was to design 7 album sleeves, inspired by the given tracks, however I wasn't clear on a few aspects. I found designing the sleeves quite easy because of how vague the instruction of 'be inspired by this track and draw' was, as it is completely down to personal experience. I was also unsure of aspects the judges would be looking for in my designs, or if it was just objective. 

Despite not being chosen, I'm confident that I've created some interesting pieces for my portfolio and social medias, in order to start getting myself out there. 


The design boards for this brief:

No comments:

Post a Comment