Wednesday 13 April 2016

Responsive: Collaborative - Desperados Brief Evaluation + Presentation Boards

Evaluation

This project has been a definite eye opener for me, especially as it was the first time I have collaborated with other artists, in a professional manner. It has taught me about a lot of things; communication, and how good communication is essential for success; maturity and the importance of being truthful and constructive with each other; and time management, an important aspect always. 

On this project, I was working with graphic designer Amelia Bramwell, and animator Gavin Rae. My role in the group was to create an image for our product, including bottle, packaging and type design, which I feel I did quite successfully. However I also had an input in the other aspects of the project during the group meetings, of which I attended every one. There were alot of meetings where there were only 2 members, which was a bit annoying, but this is mainly down to scheduling issues with the graphic design department, and couldn't be helped. 

The brief at first did seem quite vague, but the more we spoke about it, the more we got our heads around what we needed to do. We decided to create a glow in the dark campaign for Desperados including bottles, posters, promotional material like glow sticks and pingpong balls. Our idea of glow in the dark bottles was really effective, and our concept was well rounded, and linked harmoniously with the desperado's brand. I think it is an effective outcome for what the brief was asking, as from researching into colour theory and asking peers, neon colours link to the party scene so well because they are the brightest, and create a sense of excitement and energy.  Our final submission to D&AD, consisting of a 6 slide presentation and a sting, was in my opinion successful because of how we effectively presented a campaign that ultimately answered the brief. However, there were some slight issues throughout the project that I feel could've been improved by better communication. For example, the image of a Desperados bottle used in the sting, did not match the product that we had designed, which unfortunately ended up looking slightly unprofessional. I cannot fault the execution of the animation though, and think it communicated our idea really effectively. 

I don't think that the collaborative element of this project appealed to me that much, because of the added obstacle of having to communicate more effectively, as opposed to working by yourself and knowing what's going on. Although me and my team worked really hard, i do not feel that we achieved anything spectacular. However, this could be down to the nature of the brief and how in my opinion there wasn't much opportunity for creativity. 

If I were to do this brief again, I think I would like to work with more than one animator because I feel a longer and more advanced animation would have made this project stand out. 

My presentation boards for this project, based on my Individual efforts:

No comments:

Post a Comment