Monday 18 April 2016

Applied Illustration: Collage




In my last module submission, I was told that collage is always a great place to start in terms of generating imagery. I started exploring collage by looking into the products that Fjall Raven sell, that I intend to use throughout my book, featured in the landscapes. I found the loose, more expressive process a bit easier to get things down on paper and found that the textures and shapes look really interesting. In this project I'm really making an effort to make physical work as opposed to digitally creating it to begin with. I think that some of my collage is really effective and I'm so happy that I gave it a try, I think it could really start to drive my work.

My main inspiration for starting with collage was artist Belinda Rodriguez, mainly because I think her images are stunningly crafted and I love the effect that although her images exist as 2D they have a really authentic quality. It's inspired me to look into creating images on paper and photographing them, and then perhaps manipulating them in photoshop (as seen in the last page). I really like the technique i've used in this image, because although the majority of it is digitally painted, the use of collage adds a tiny amount of authenticity to it which I think it would be lacking otherwise. I really need to look into photography and how I can make higher quality images, as opposed to just scanning (or get better at scanning). I think that things like paper quality will also have a huge effect on my images though aswell, so that's something I need to experiment with. 




I intend to keep using collage for sure, and maybe look into paper engineering a bit more (although I am a bit concerned about time). 

No comments:

Post a Comment