Saturday 2 April 2016

Responsive: Feathr - Brief Analysis



I'm so glad that I found out about this brief as it looks like an amazing opportunity to get my work out there, and an exciting way to hopefully win money! The brief is very open, based on my own interests and intentions as an artist. I'm really excited about the focus on my individual ideas, as opposed to following trends.

The brief asks for a repeat pattern design that can be made into a roll of wallpaper, 50cm x 100m. I don't have much experience with pattern design, however there are alot of tips and information about creating a repeat pattern which is definitely something worth knowing for future reference.

What problem(s) are identified by the brief?
The brief asks to create a repeat pattern wallpaper design, that is art, not just for decoration. The idea is to create a pattern that people will want to use in their homes, yet still be proud of it's bold and creative flare. 

What is the brief asking you to do about it/them?
 The brief is asking me to design a tile for a repeat pattern, inspired by a range of themes, including Pop Art, Romance, Nature and Figures; a huge spectrum of inspiration that are very open for interpretation. These are not compulsory however, but I feel that they are effective starting points for my research into wallpaper designs. 

What is the brief trying to achieve?
There is a huge emphasis on creating ART and not just pointless decoration. I get the impression that the judges are looking for something that is bold, including elements that are perhaps controversial or unusual. From looking at Pop Art, unusual objects are a recurring element, which is something I intend to look into. I think it will be difficult to find a balance between powerful art and something people will use in their home interior decoration.  

Who is the audience?
I think the main audience for the outcome of this competition is most likely home owners who take pride in their homes, or use interior decoration as a way of expressing themselves. In terms of age group, I would say anyone over 20, but people who like quirky and fresh designs.

Can you foresee any problems in responding to the brief?
My only major concern is once again finding the balance between art and something people will want to have in their homes. When designing my pattern I want to stay focused on creating something that people would actually want to buy and put over their walls. Wallpaper is a strong, defining element to any interior decor, so the design must be nicely executed, with colour schemes and spacial awareness carefully considered. I am also unsure about what is meant by 'make art'  - Does 'Art' imply having a deeper meaning? creating an image that is more graphic than just a pattern? Communicates a message?

No comments:

Post a Comment