Monday 18 April 2016

Applied Illustration: Research Ideas + Plan

To start preparing for my book, I looked into various places around the world that I would be interested in using in my Illustrated Guide to nature expeditions. Because my publication will be illustrated, I had a huge focus on aesthetic qualities of each place, that would benefit the overall aesthetic of my book. Choosing places based on shape/colour/weather/climate. 

I decided that colour would and different climates went hand in hand. For a starting point, I starting looking online into the best rated nature walks/trails around the world. Each article I looked at had used photography so it was easy to judge which places I would like to start exploring. I found these 2 websites/articles particularly useful because of how they assessed each place on different aspects like temperature and climate, aswell as using really beautiful landscape photographs. 


national geographic.com & roughguides.com

Chosen Places

After looking through hundreds of articles, I found these places to be the most diverse visually (Hadrians wall + Kingsleden are quite similar) and also very highly rated as nature walks. I had a focus on the diversity of climate so that I am able to show a range of products from Fjall Raven in my publication. I also made colour swatches of each image so that I knew how diverse they would look when put together in my book. 

Proposed places for to research:

Bryce Canyon / Utah
Fitzroy Massif / Patagonia
Milford Track / New Zealand
Hadrian's Wall / UK
Kingsleden / Sweden

No comments:

Post a Comment