Thursday 14 April 2016

Responsive: End Of Module Evaluation

Responsive has been a challenging module for me. I've had gained valuable experience, creating responses within professionally realistic deadlines, ensuring that my audience and purpose have been carefully considered. My main substantial brief, the Secret7 brief was certainly a challenge, in terms of wrestling with concepts and having the confidence to say 'This is how I interpret this track'. With this brief, I found the subjective nature of it to be quite vague, leading me to base my concepts on my personal experience with the tracks, which felt a bit meaningless. Despite saying that, I really enjoyed using music as inspiration. In light of the module, I found the timing of this competition to be slightly poor, forcing me to analyse other competitions in the sessions, thus effecting my organisation in the study tasks. I'm glad I took part however, because despite any of my designs being chosen, it introduced me to album cover designing which I've never had a real opportunity to do. I think I've developed some interesting pieces for my portfolio also, which is always beneficial.
     
My other responses from studio brief 1, saw me designing patterns for wallpaper design competition, Feathr, and designing business cards for a Painter and decorator on Briefbox. Once again I was drawn to these competition s as they were processes I was new to, and wanted to try, purely out of personal interest. I find myself maintaining an interest in product design, and packaging etc, so these briefs seemed ideal. The nature of the Feathr brief was also quite vague, which at first I really struggled with. I wanted my images to convey my interests, and my tone of voice, so I felt there was alot of pressure when choosing my subject matter, which in the end was random and meaningless. There were elements of this brief that I didn't really understand fully also, despite analysing it, especially the prompt to make 'Art' and not just a decorative wallpaper design. My response for the Briefbox brief in my opinion was really effective and professional, demonstrating an ability to assimilate information from the brief and create an effective outcome. 
     
The collaborative element of this module, I found to be quite challenging - not in terms of work load, but having to communicate effectively with a creative partner, in order to make work that appeals to a range of different peoples interests. I understand that everyone has different tastes and interests, however, when choosing my partner I felt it would be beneficial to share similar ones, which in this brief, was not the case. Due to only a small percentage of the course wanting to take part in the D&AD Desperados brief, my group was brought together by default without having seen each others individual way of working, denying us the luxury of a willful creative partnership, which in the end effected our outcome. This brief certainly taught me alot about the importance of communicating effectively, and also demonstrating a level of maturity in order to get things done successfully. I think our outcomes were successful in some way as our concept was well executed and well presented, however I just feel in some aspects our submission was lacking in professionalism, completely down to poor communication. 

I have learnt alot of new processes during this module, including technical aspects like creating a repeat pattern, and using design boards. I found the idea of presentation boards to be a really effective way of delivering my journey, and making it look well rounded and professional. I feel I demonstrated a certain level of professionalism in my boards and reports, giving me confidence in using them to respond to clients. I was really happy with my groups submission boards for The Desperados brief, and think that aswell as our use of images, our choice of language used to explain and market our idea was really professional and effective. 

This module has highlighted that I need to gain alot more confidence in my work, when responding to live briefs and clients. I'm glad that I am very conscious of my audience when creating work, but sometimes I feel that I overthink my choices and become doubtful. I also need to gain confidence in my decision making, for example, when choosing briefs and ensuring that I stick to them, which I think would improve with more research and brief analysis, something I hope to improve on for future briefs.

Overall I've learnt alot, and now understand the importance and usefulness of competitions, and practice briefs. It's helped me to discover what briefs appeal to me more than others. I'm confident that I have an interest in product design and packaging, and the commercial side of illustration, which is something I intend to explore more in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment