Saturday 2 April 2016

Responsive: Feathr - Research + Initial Ideas

To get some inspiration for the brief, I looked into existing wallpapers to see how I could push my designs to the next level. When researching, I found that the wallpapers that used actual illustrations, as opposed to abstract shapes, were most effective and eye catching, and probably more like what the judges for Feathr want to see. I'm sure a pattern could be really striking, given the right colour scheme etc, however I think i'm just going to focus on making pictures which are then repeated. 


A selection of repeat patterns from Pinterest; 
by Rhona Garvin, James Tolich, Naomi Wilkinson.

I admire the contemporary aesthetic of these wallpapers the most, and love how bold the colour schemes are. I really want to explore the idea of 'unusual objects', as recommended in the pop art inspiration in the brief. I intend to take inspiration from Andy Warhol and photographer, Martin Parr, who each use motifs of pop culture in their work. Right now I think I'm going to focus on things that just have an aesthetic quality, and use them develop my images to convey a deeper meaning.



Other themes I'd be interested in exploring are space, sea creatures, plants, strange foods. My current intentions for the brief are to create a bold, carefully coloured patterns using drawings that I will probably create digitally, with a focus on creating a contemporary feel. Here I have identified some reference imagery that I think would effectively convey a Pop Art feel. I have also tried to think outside the box, hopefully so that I am able to create something quite original. I feel as though my subject matter has been chosen a bit by random though?


Inspirational images for my designs

No comments:

Post a Comment