Friday 21 April 2017

FMP: Digital Magazine Market

I've been trying to think of other digital journalism platforms that could possibly utilise my idea of 'immersive illustration' and if or not there is gap in the market for a new product?


Snapchat Discover

A new feature added to snapchat that has created another (very accessible) platform for journalism/articles/blogs/editorials to be consumed through social media site, Snapchat. It is a very instant and accessible platform that utilises a mixture of animation, motion graphics, photography, illustration, and makes the viewer interact with it by choosing to flick and swipe through the content.


Apple Newsstand

This platform from Apple is now a default app in every person's iphone, and allows the user to download digital replicas of magazine subscriptions to be viewed on their phone/tablet on the go. This is another example of the mass digital conversion that is happening to products every day. Although this app only makes direct, still replicas of the pages of magazines, I've identified it as another screen based platform that would allow for the use of VR or Animated content.


 

The New Yorker Online 

The New Yorker online is the first digital publication I've come across in my research that actually makes the most of being digital, using Gifs, animations and videos. I admire the new yorker as a brand because it really utilises creativity, employing illustrators and designers daily to make content. As stated before It is a very forward thinking brand, as highlighted by Christoph Niemann's VR Cover Design. 

Thoughts

From what I've found, there are alot of digital platforms that accomodate interactive, immersive elements into editorial/journalism products. For my project I'm thinking about utilising one of these platforms to create my own editorial illustrative responses that engage the reader more through the use of virtual reality or animation, to create immersive content to go alongside travel articles/journalism. I'm confident that this is an appropriate area for me to explore as it will give me the chance to explore creating digital illustrative and graphic content to create work relevant for commercial use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment