Tuesday 18 April 2017

FMP: Illustrated VR Test + Thoughts

In response to my research into travel publications, identifying the lack of VR/video/animation(and even illustration)/methods to make the most of screen based platforms, I decided to finally give VR a go, using a tutorial I found previously. In this experiment I wanted to just see how illustration could convert to a 360 image, and how the image quality differs/distorts etc. I created a very quick mockup of a beach just to see how I could apply this technique to perhaps travel illustrations.



Step by Step on How I made my own VR 360 Image

Step 1 - I created horizontal cube grid from a 'equirectangular' pattern I downloaded online.

Step 2 - I then identified which areas were which to help me plan my image.

Step 3 - I added a basic line of sight/horizon to help me plan my image out further


Step 4 - Started to actually create the image


Step 5 - converted my image back from a horizontal cross grid to equirectangular to create a full panoramic image. 



Step 6 - I then uploaded my image to facebook which converted it to a drag and view 360 panoramic image. Unfortunately I really struggled to find a way to embed it onto my blog so these are only screenshots from facebook. It was quite a weird experience however. I feel that if done properly (with a successful image) this would definitely encourage the viewer to look around and interact with elements of the image.

Thoughts

So now I can officially say I know how to make my own illustrated VR 360 image!

For an experiment I think it worked out quite well, enabling me to understand how it converts from a flat image to a 3D one, and what to consider when constructing the image. However, this experience also made me realise how much of a pain in the arse it is to embed/share your work when it's in this format? I think if it was a more accessible and convenient platform then I think this would be an exciting area to explore, but In terms of taking what I've learnt here and applying it, I'm not that interested in pursuing VR for this project as I don't know how I'd go about submitting and displaying it, other than facebook. It's a shame that these technical hurdles are what's stopping me, but I don't want to make something if I can't show it off using the platform of my choice.

I'm not completely giving up on this way of working as I think it would show in my portfolio that I am commercially and critically aware of developments in technology, also showing that I can adapt. Also I think its an amazing way to develop my illustrations to make them completely immersive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment