Sunday 16 April 2017

FMP: Travel Publications

After looking into contemporary Virtual Reality and finding ways that I could use it's processes to benefit my practice, I was inspired by Christoph Niemann's VR New Yorker Cover, to start looking at using it to bring Editorial to life and make journalism more of an immersive experience. As stated previously, I have identified the travel genre as something i'd like to continue exploring visually, so I started by identifying some online travel magazines/blogs and just getting a sense of how they engage their readers and present their content:


Travel Weekly 

worldtravelguide.net


escapismmagazine.com

Thoughts

Each example I looked at uses a very traditional approach in terms of using just editorial photography to go along side their articles, even when they're being viewed on a screen based platform. They are all very photography based aswell - travel illustration is definitely a well-established genre, but these particular examples do not seem to use it atall. 

I feel like these articles/websites could be so much more immersive in terms of engaging their reader and communicating editorial content on a more powerful/immersive/interactive scale - They are not making the most of having a digital screen based platform, on which they could communicate with their readers on a much more powerful and exciting scale. I have identified online travel magazines/blogs to be a platform where I could explore creating 'immersive travel illustration', referring to making visual editorial content that creates a visual experience for the reader. This would also refer to my statement of intent in terms of creating commercially and critically aware work for my portfolio. I think this idea of 'immersive content' would work really well with my practice at the moment as I enjoy making images using atmosphere, light/shadows, colour and 3d(ish) rendering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment