Tuesday 28 April 2015

Studio Brief 1: I See Faces - GIF Critique + Reflection

This is my peer review sheet from the 'GIFathon', where I arranged my favourite GIFS from the show into categories;


From the critique, although we did not receive written feedback, I gained alot of insight into how people reacted to my gifs. From watching them on a slideshow one after the other I found that people enjoyed them. In 2 of my gifs, I really tried to convey humour and sense of quirkiness, which I felt was received by the reaction of laughter. One comment I received was that my beard gif was animated really well, which I was really pleased with. In that gif I really pushed myself to make quite a complex gif, so I am pleased that my peers recognised that. 

---

Overall I really enjoyed this studio brief. I'm glad that it pushed me to try a different platform and really opened my eyes to the world of animation. I found it amazing to see how certain movements and the way that it is animated can generate a whole new meaning to the image. 

I was really pleased with how my gifs turned out, especially the Beard man and the Poo man. I had quite enthusiastic intentions for them and I feel that I pulled it off. I found it quite challenging to actually animate them, because of their complex nature, but I'm proud that I managed to wrestle with the software and create outcomes that I'm really pleased with. For my other gif, the bubblegum girl, I think I managed to animate my character quite well, however I was not pleased with the concept as a whole. In comparison to my other 2 GIFS, I found this one to be quite boring with nothing really going on, and I don't feel like it reflected my personal tone of voice as an artist. If I were to do it again, I would inject more quirkiness and humour into it, and perhaps revert back to my original idea of the bubble eating her. 

In terms of media, I don't feel that I pushed myself alot in this brief. For all 3 GIFs I used fineliner to create my original artwork, which I found to be a simple method of working. For these pieces however, I feel that the use of fineliner conveyed my intended message of humour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment