Wednesday 29 April 2015

Studio Brief 3: Persons Of Note - Chosen Person + Research

When I first received my three people, I was very unsure as to who would make the most interesting visuals. The people who I got were; 


Sir David Attenborough - A British national treasure who is famous for his wildlife programmes and contributions to natural science. With Attenborough, I felt like it would be very difficult to avoid cliche's and that because he is so widely appreciated, it would be hard to form my own opinion of him. There were alot of interesting unknown facts about him, but I didn't really want to focus on small insignificant details. 


Philip Larkin - A poet from Hull, who developed a gloomy attitude to life as he grew older, reflected in his poetry. Because of the negativity surrounding this person, I did not feel passionate about this person whatsoever and thought that it would not be constructive for me personally to look at him for my project. 


Carl Sagan - After researching this person I automatically knew that I wanted use him for my project. Carl Sagan is a Scientist and somewhat TV personality, who hosted a range of TV programmes, 'Cosmos' that made Space/Science/The Universe an accessible subject to it's viewers in the 1980's. He has also made a number of contributions to Science, including releasing a Golden Record into space, containing sounds of earth, in an attempt to communicate with someone/something who would find it. I think this person is really interesting and would really enjoy looking into him alot more. 

 ---

To start understanding who Carl Sagan is, I started watching episodes of 'Cosmos' on youtube, which then made it very clear how passionate about science and the universe he was. The way he interacts with his audience in the programme is really inspiring, because of his patience and consideration that is conveyed through his words. When discussing space and science, Sagan speaks almost poetically, once again conveying his love and passion for his work. 



Stills from Carl Sagan's: Cosmos Episode 3

No comments:

Post a Comment