Wednesday 29 April 2015

Studio Brief 3: Persons Of Note - Artist Research

One artist I came across recently is Tom Cole. I saw his work and instantly fell in love with it. His mixture of analogue and digital media used to make twee and often nostalgic images is a really interesting way of working. 
I love the way he creates atmosphere so intensely in alot of his work, often created by his skies and beautiful use of colour and media. 


These images are a prime example of how he creates atmosphere in his imagery. The use of intense red/oranges and pale blues are so complimentary and just look really effective in my opinion. 



I tried to recreate Cole's techniques in my own work, by overlaying gouache with oil pastels:



I think they work on a small level, but don't look as neat and refined as Cole's use of media. I really like the use of gouache however, and love how vibrant the colors are. I would really like to try out the cintiq in the studio and use the custom photoshop brushes to see if an authentic effect is created.

No comments:

Post a Comment