Wednesday 29 April 2015

Studio Brief 3: Persons Of Note - Initial Thoughts

This brief is really exciting to me because I love the idea of becoming an expert on someone. In order to succeed in this brief, I feel that it is crucial to fully understand what my person is about and develop an opinion about them, so that I can convey a message. 

To start this brief, I started looking at illustrative portraiture:
 
Self Portrait by Lizzie Stewart 
I really love this piece by Lizzie Stewart. I think the use of media creates a really twee effect and the use of negative space around it really balances out the composition and creates a subtle and minimalist effect. The piece communicates alot about Lizzie herself, indicated by the facial expression and small details like the red nose. I think it's a really unique perspective also, and links to traditional portraiture of a side profile. Depending on my person, I would love to go down a quaint, media driven pathway.
Amanda Senneby
This piece by Amanda Senneby is really nice also, and her use of colour is a bit crazy, but very complimentary. The use of gouache provides a really authentic texture, and the experimental use of inverted colors contrasts nicely with it. The composition of the piece is really unique, and reminds me of playing cards. The way that the portrait is shown in 2 different colors could communicate an alter ego/dual personalities/ mental health issues, and may be something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment