Tuesday 7 March 2017

Cosmetics Brief: Box/Packaging Design


Visual Inspiration

A big part of our design was going to be the physical appearance of the box, in which we wanted to create a luxurious unique design as well as it being functional. We felt that the more the design was unique and striking, it would encourage people to share it online on social media sites like instagram. Also the box could be something that is kept and treasured. 
Atlantis Shape

Before physically making the box I thought it would be a good idea to mock it up digitally as best as possible, just so that we didnt waste too much time if it looked ineffective. To start the process of designing the box, I created a basic shape to show where there would be dividers inside. We wanted the box to have a unique appearance based loosely around the supposed shape of atlantis, just communicate the story/context a bit more. This is where I decided to have a go at 3d rendering using photoshop, as I feel like I have a good working knowledge of light and shadow and where it should fall on an object.



I created these linear plans in illustrator, and projected it upwards so that I could start creating a digital 3d mockup. I then started adding gradients to the inside of the book to create a realistic 3D effect. I think that the box looks really striking, and will look amazing with all the various products inside it. 


I also mocked up the inside of the box using the other pattern design, further reflecting the concept of the inside of a shell/hidden treasure at the bottom of the ocean.


I feel like the inside pattern makes the box look a bit cheap - unless it was created using marbling pearlised inks maybe? I just feel like the colour scheme is too 'the little mermaid' which doesn't reflect our intentions for a luxury brand atall.

Bag Design


This is what the packaging would look like if the brand was to develop and grow into a chain of stores, which i've identified as a possibility for our product. Once again I used both patterns inside and out of the bag to reflect a concept of mystery and magic inside, or something being concealed, like Atlantis was by the ocean. This is the running concept throughout this design brief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment