Tuesday 14 March 2017

YCN Greenalls: New Idea Needed Urgently!!!

After my recent attempt with animation to answer this brief, I decided that it was no longer going to be worth the time that it would take to complete it, and I lost complete interest in making it. I also thought the concept didn't answer the brief in every aspect, as much as I tried to force it.

So I returned to my sketchbook and started out with British sayings that use the word 'All's'. 

I'm not sure how I came up with this but I thought it was a good starting point, eventually resulting in this...


Boom. Shakespeare. Shakespeare is quintessentially British and definitely ties in with the whole 'traditional'/'London Gin' thing. I think that Shakespeare could be a really good angle for the project because he's incredibly well known and could have some kind of cheeky/comical effect to reiterate the Greenall's brand values.

I also started doing some research into shakespeare as a whole, and found that 2017 will be 400 years since shakespeare's death, so I could make it relevent by creating some sort of celebratory edition of Greenalls? I feel that as shakespeare is such an iconic/well known character, this idea would appeal to the millennial audience.

I prefer this idea so much more though and think that the idea of 'bad weather' was so surface level/undeveloped. 


In addition to my idea, I found this recent cartoon for the new yorker by Jason Adam Katzenstein. He has also used shakespeare in his image and a play on a famous shakespeare saying 'Shall I compare thee to a summers day?' to create humor, which is slightly similar to my idea. I think it's effective how I just instantly knew it was shakespeare (without any sign) because of the visual clues of costume etc, which are elements I intend to take from this to use in my own work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment