Friday 24 March 2017

Nest: 'Space' Submission

So today I got an email about an extension for the Nest magazine submission, based on the theme of space. I love drawing skies and making them bold and abstract and colourful and felt that this would be excellent oppurtunity to do so, and get published in a wide reaching publication. This brief was a really quick turnaround (a day) so I began sketching straight away. I didn't have time to build an amazing concept so just began with basic imagery like spacemen and planets etc. I wanted to use a simple concept and do it well, making a bold and colourful submission.

In the context of creating work for a publication, I feel that this brief is more about creating something that people would want to put on their wall? Poster design? Other than these, I can't think of any other way images in this context would be utilised, other than to generate publicity. 



Visual Inspiration - Been watching alot of 'Cosmos' recently on Netflix and found the colour schemes of their visual explanations of space to be really inspiring. 


Whilst creating the image I tried to experiment with abstract ways to make the sky bold and dramatic, so once deciding on a colour palette I used the liquify tool(photoshop) to swirl the colours together which I think looks quite effective (and like space). My main focus whilst making this image was to make something that was instantly eye-catching, and I feel that the bold use of colour achieves that. 

Overall I think this piece is effective in the way that it communicates the 'space' theme straight away, in a bold and cinematic composition. I think I've used light colour and shadow effectively to create an effective poster design/decorative image to go in a magazine

 Although it slightly annoys me that it's just a bit meaningless and basic. I think it was a good oppurtunity to just explore image making. I intend to develop this image a bit more and find a way that it could be made relevant to commercial illustration - could it be used to advertise something? Promotional work for 'Cosmos'?

No comments:

Post a Comment