Thursday 16 March 2017

YCN Greenalls: Typography/Poster Developments


I began exploring my idea through typography first, playing with the phrase/famous shakespeare play 'All's well that ends well'. I then thought it'd be quite clever to turn it into 'Alls well that end's alls', as in Greenall's ends with alls so it's well/good? bit of a mouthful but I think its quite a punchy play on the phrase. Also the idea of playing on words has a cheeky feel to it which relates to the Greenall's sense of humor. I feel that humor will be easier to create with this new idea as opposed to the animation, which is good because I think it will play a huge role in the success of my idea. When making these outcomes I had a focus on communicating 'shakespeare' and Greenalls, so I went for a mixture of the bold greenalls type and scribbly(but still legible) handwriting, that refers to whole 'shakespearian play writing aesthetic'(???)

Im happy with the typographic experiments and feel that the process of refinement has resulted in some new ideas and interesting outcomes. I wanted to explore graphic outcomes aswell as illustrative because I personally don't just want to be labelled as an illustrator, and I would like more typography based outcomes for my portfolio.

Also the final experiment I really like; 'All's the worlds a stage'. I feel like the eagerness to make 'All's' fit into the sentence has a comical effect in itself, aswell as being a fab play on words. I've really emphasised the Alls using bright green and the font taken directly from the logo, to hopefully make it instantly identifiable. I also used a textured brush to create the font, to make it look like a stamp that had been smacked on top the typography. I've also tried to create humor by subtle use of language such as 'Please drinketh responsibly".

Here I've also started to think about product - adding a shakespearian collar to the neck of the bottle, which is a path that could be explored through product/marketing design. I'm confident that the Shakespeare idea is alot stronger than my previous idea, now I think I need to start exploring image making that I can combine with my text based outcomes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment