Tuesday 14 March 2017

YCN Greenalls: I'm not good at animating???


I've just finished animating what I've created for the project so far in After Effects, using royalty free sound effects that I collected from online. In some ways I think the animation is successful because it maintains a punchy energetic feel, taking inspiration from Parallel's 'Unsatisfying' video reel. I've used the colour green to reiterate the brand identity of Greenall's, using short punchy scenes to create a light hearted and fast paced tempo. I think in some frames the visual quality and composition elements work really effectively in order to communicate certain environments.

However

I do not think that overall this is heading in the direction anymore. I really need more than a basic knowledge of After Effects to make this work and just feel that with the amount of time I've got before the deadline, there's not alot of point continuing with this idea? I'm also really struggling to stay interested in it because I'm not confident that when it's finish it will be worth all the work.

I'm happy with the animation stills that I've created and think that some of them would make effective portfolio pieces, displaying a way that I have communicated a brand's values/aesthetic through my images, and I'm glad that i've had the oppurtunity to explore animation. I'm disappointed however because I've obviously wasted a lot of time on this idea, and have probably sacrificed my chances of succeeding in the competition. In future I need to experiment in alot more depth/create mockups in order to identify a successful way of working, which I feel I did not do here. 

I'm still going to attempt the brief, just going down a shorter/more focused path, using a really developed idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment