Thursday 4 May 2017

FMP: Visual Inspiration / Illustrated Type Thoughts

After identifying google doodle as a unique idea, I've identified Illustrated Type as an element that could be used effectively in my outcomes. As Magazine/journalism spreads are very text heavy, I feel that this could be a way to incorporate an element of visual editorial content that could also maintain a function as a header for my articles. However I wanted to get collect some inspiration on how font and type are used to communicate.

Illustrated Type for Book Cover Design


These are 2 very similar examples of Illustrated type that use the construction of the type in order to communicate references from the story. Although these are for very concept heavy novels, I feel these techniques could be applied to less conceptual travel journalism. I think that the success with these outcomes lies in tactically arranging the type - for example the 2 A's in Great Gatsby positioned to communicate a building. 

36 Days of Type (Instagram)


This is an account i've been following for a while, where I have also witnessed hundreds of people submitting their own responses to the 36 days of type competition/brief. I think this brief is a really exciting opportunity to explore type/font in any preferred way. I love the way that the account curates the images to show an array of diverse responses. 


These are  just 2 very different examples I picked out that I find really effective in use of colour and overall execution. I really like the 3d/layered effect that is created in the 'S', which is an element that relates to my idea of immersive illustration, and something jumping out of the page.

My own responses to Illustrated Type Brief


These are some of my own responses from my ongoing illustrated type brief where I have attempted to illustrate a word, using the type to create context. These are both quite obvious examples but I feel that they are executed quite well. Ideally(if I get time) I would like to develop these images using animation, so that they could look alot more developed on screen based platforms - another thing to consider for this project?

No comments:

Post a Comment