Thursday 11 May 2017

FMP: Spot Illustrations

In order to fully visualise my intentions for this project, I wanted to make an example of a fully functional web/app article that reflects my idea of immersive/interactive and entertaining journalism. 

Aswell as creating an animated title image, I wanted to incorporate smaller editorial style images into my design, in order to fully utilise the possibilities of screen based platforms, and create a complete visually immersive experience for the viewer. 

In-text spot illustrations/animations

Because of the list-type style of the article, I found it quite easy to assimilate the information and respond to it visually. This is my final outcome in response to 'Malang Tod' (Insects), using the visual clue of chopsticks as a way of incorporating this shocking food into a normal dining environment. Pictured above (left), is the process I undertook to animate the image, creating 3 frames in order to simulate a 'wiggling' effect. I wanted to create the same kind of illustrative quality so that the whole article has consistency, so I created this effect using the same harsh colour schemes and textural brushes. 

Differently to my previous animated outcomes, I just used photoshop to add movement to this image which has resulted in a slightly jittery effect -  although I feel the animation quality is lacking slightly, this way I was able to maintain a visual outcome with a consistent visual style that would've been lost if animated in After Effects. I think it communicates/illustrates the text perfectly in an effectively executed style so I'm happy with this outcome. 


This was another outcome in response to 'Dancing Shrimp', the concept of eating live seafood that still moves on the plate. Once again quite an obvious outcome in response to the text, but communicates effectively non the less. 

This animation was so much more complex than the previous response and was created using After effects. To create a looping animation I had to ensure that all movements were timed correctly in order for it to appear seamless. This process really challenged me in terms of overcoming technicalities,  opening my eyes to how difficult animation can be, resulting in a total of 4 hours of tweaking the movements (and it's still not perfect). In order to create fully effective movements, I had to create seperate animations of looping wriggling shrimp, that I then uplaoded to after effects to move around.

In terms of visual quality I'm happy that once again I have created an image that appears consistent with my other responses to this article. I think I've used the negative space in the image quite innovatively in order to create the immersive/3D effect of the shrimp jumping out at the viewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment