Thursday 4 May 2017

FMP: Illustrated Type Experiment + Platform Mockups

I decided to develop some of my sketchbook work into an illustrative type based outcome, based on 'Strangest Food in Thailand'. As a starting point I liked this idea as I felt like it was visually very exciting, with alot of small details that make you want to look closer, I feel like it also provides instant context for the article. 


Although this is nowhere near a finished product, I thought some elements were successful, like the use of red in the background to communicate an oriental aspect. Also in terms of image quality, I thought that the slightly expressive, textural quality worked really nicely, to give the image an 'illustrative aesthetic' (I want my images to communicate but I also want them to look nice aswell). 

In terms of weakness, I received feedback that this image was slightly illegible, which is completely unacceptable when it's primary function is to be used as a header for an article. I also think that the colour scheme should be more considered, to communicate abnormal/disgusting aspects. 



I've also started to think about layout and how my design will be used within an article/composition. I think in this particular example the composition looks very empty, and where I feel a title should be, is just blank empty space? I need to reconsider the composition for my image as a whole (text included), and perhaps either make my image spread across the whole screen, or or use unillustrated typography with an image.

No comments:

Post a Comment