Saturday 25 February 2017

Cosmetics Brief: Pattern Experiments




One of my responsibilities for this project is to create a collection of surface patterns that will decorate the packaging. To do this I began to explore mark making using a collection of custom brushes, with a focus on creating rock like textures and patterns. Because of the abstract, expressive and experimental nature of this task, I found it quite difficult (and a bit unrewarding) as I'm not a pattern maker, and the outcome is purely for decorative purposes, not communicative, so it just didn't seem like I had much to work towards. I do not think that pattern design relates to my practice whatsoever, and this outcome is going to be very abstract. I am passionate about creating an effective pattern in order to decorate the box, however when developing my own, i'm unsure how to define what makes a succcesful pattern? What skill set does this demonstrate?

However, throughout my process, I was able to pick out elements that I thought were visually effective and which were not, enabling me to develop a design through refinement. I think the patterns i've started to generate here are effective in conveying an authentic textural quality that we decided would work best, however it still just feels a bit pointless because of the aimless mark-making I underwent to create random samples. I feel that a concept is needed here.

Colour


For my next set of pattern developments, I will have a focus on building the visuals of the box based on the visual colour schemes and textures of shells - dark and unnoticable, but when opened an explosion of pearlised colour and pattern inside (further reflecting the oceanic theme). I wanted to use this concept as it reflects the mysterious nature of the story of atlantis, and an element of mystery was key to making this design stand out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment